Default File Type
The Silhouette Studio software, designed to be used with Silhouette cutting machines, uses STUDIO/STUDIO3 files as its proprietary file type.
Silhouette Studio allows you to open a variety of file types, with additional types supported in upgraded editions.
- The Basic Edition (free version) can use all Silhouette Digital Download files obtained from the Silhouette Design Store, as well as fonts installed on your computer in TTF and OTF format. In addition, the following files can be imported with ready made cut lines: STUDIO/STUDIO3 files, GSD/GST files, and DXF files.
The software can also import a variety of image file types (JPG, PNG, BMP, GIF, and TIF files) and then Trace the image to create cut lines.
- The Designer Edition (paid upgrade) allows for all the above file types as well as the ability to import SVG files and PDF files. If importing PDF, you can select to Import as Image, which will not include cut lines, or Import as Vector, which will perform an automatic trace creating cut lines.
- The Designer Edition Plus (paid upgrade) adds the ability to open the following embroidery file types:
PES, DST, EXP, JEF, and XXX.
- The Business Edition (paid upgrade) adds the ability to open the following Adobe Illustrator and CorelDRAW native files:
AI, EPS, and CDR.
Silhouette Studio allows you to export a few different file types, with additional types supported in upgraded editions.
- All editions of Silhouette Studio allow you to save STUDIO/STUDIO3 files.
- The Business Edition additionally allows you to export the following file types: SVG, PDF, PNG, and JPG